Welcome to The Dialect Resource
the premiere source for dialect and accent training for actors
Requires Flash Player 9
Why should you choose The Dialect Resource?
- The Dialect Resource is the website of Gillian Lane-Plescia, a full time, freelance accent and dialect coach who has worked for over 30 years with actors of all kinds, including such well known actors such as Matthew Broderick, Estelle Parson, John Malkovich, Brian Dennehy, John C. Reilly, Uma Thurman, F. Murray Abraham, and Gary Sinese. The Dialect Resource CDs and downloads are the result of this experience.
- Gillian’s CDs are used by organizations across the country and abroad, from leading theatres such as the Guthrie and the Alley to University theatre schools, community theatres and high schools.
- Instruction is provided solely by Gillian, whose unique methodology focuses on learning from men and women speaking with their authentic accents.
- While it is geared primarily towards the professional actor it can easily be used by those who are new to working with accents.
- Some Dialect CDs are available for instant download, along with accompanying PDF booklet. Currently, the Chicago, French, Italian, Australia/New Zealand, British North Country, South African, Devonshire, American South Volume 1, Russian, and Spanish/Portugese collections are available for immediate download. More will be made available in the future.
- Free domestic shipping on individual CD purchases (up to $22.95). Add $1.00 for each additional CD (standard shipping only). More info...
What do the CDs/downloads consist of?
- The CDs/downloads and accompanying booklets offer clear analysis of primary sound substitutions, melodic/rhythmic features for each dialect, practice material, numerous examples of authentic speakers, both male and female, and a list of other sources.
- IPA notations are included.
- The CDs are small and lightweight, fitting easily into your pocket or bag.
What other services do we offer?
The Dialect Resource also offers the following services. Contact Gillian for more information.
- One-on-one video coaching (in person or via Skype)
- Custom CDs for specific productions or projects
- Dialect Resources for hard-to-find or esoteric accents